Dr. Santanu Kumar Ghosh
Phone: +(91-22) 2576 7766
E-mail: santanughosh [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 303, BSBE Building
Lab web page
- Understanding mechanism of faithful chromosome segregation during meiotic cell division.
- Functional studies of different regulatory factors involved in vegetative cell division.
- Exploring 2 micron plasmid biology to study fundamental biological processes like chromatin organization and post translational protein modifications.
- Epigenetic and genetic factors that influence Candida life cycle.
- B.Sc (Agriculture), 1994: Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, WB, India
- M.Sc (Biotechnology), 1996: Madurai Kamaraj University, TN, India
- Ph.D. , 2002: Jadavpur University (work done in Bose Institute), Kolkata, WB, India
- Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Epigenetics and Cell Cycle, Lab course in Analytical Biochemistry
- Jun 2002 – Aug2003: Postdoctoral Fellow, Bose Institute, Kolkata, WB, India
- Sept 2003 – Aug 2006: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Texas at Austin, USA
- Sept 2006 – Jan 2009: Research Associate, University of Texas at Austin, USA
- Feb 2009 – Sept 2014: Assistant Professor, IIT Bombay, India
- Oct 2014 – Nov 2018: Associate Professor, IIT Bombay, India
- Dec 2018 – till date: Professor, IIT Bombay, India
- Post doctoral fellowship, NIH, USA – 2003 – 2009
- Post doctoral fellowship, CSIR, India – 2001 – 2003
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR- NET) Fellowship (JRF and SRF), Govt. Of India, 1996 to 2001
- Dept of Biotechnology Fellowship, Govt. of India, 1994 to 1996
- Junior Fellowship (JFS) in Biochemistry, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Delhi, 1994
- University Merrit Fellowship, Govt. of India, Bidhan Chandra Agricultural University, 1989 to 1993
- Kumar D, Prajapati HK, Mahilkar A, Ma CH, Mittal P, Jayaram M and Ghosh SK. The selfish yeast plasmid utilizes the condensin complex and condensed chromatin for faithful partitioning. PLoS Genetics 2021 (in press).
- Balachandra VK, Verma J, Shankar M, Tucey TM, Traven A, Schittenhelm RB, and Ghosh SK. The RSC (Remodels the Structure of Chromatin) complex of Candida albicans shows compositional divergence with distinct roles in regulating pathogenic traits. PLoS Genetics 2020 Nov 5;16(11).
- Mittal P, Ghule K, Trakroo D, Prajapati P and Ghosh SK. Meiosis-specific functions of kinesin motors in cohesin removal and maintenance of chromosome integrity in budding yeast. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2020, Mar 30: 40(8).
- Prasad P, Sanyal K and Ghosh SK. Sth1, the key subunit of the RSC chromatin remodeling complex, is essential in maintaining chromosomal integrity and mediating high fidelity chromosome segregation in the human fungal pathogen Candida albicans. Frontiers in Microbiology 2019 Jun 12;10:1303. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2019.01303.
- Mittal P, Chauhan A, Trakroo D, Shah S and Ghosh SK. Outer kinetochore protein Dam1 promotes centromere clustering in parallel with Slk19 in budding yeast. Chromosoma 2019. 128: 133.
- Prajapati H.K., Agarwal M., Mittal P. and Ghosh SK. Evidence of Zip1 promoting sister kinetochore mono-orientation during meiosis in budding yeast. G3 (Bethesda) 2018. 8, 3691-3701.
- Mehta G, Anbalagan GK, Bharati AP, Gadre P, and Ghosh SK. An interplay between Shugoshin and Spo13 for centromericcohesin protection and sister kinetochore mono-orientation during meiosis I in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Current Genetics. 2018. Oct;64(5):1141-1152.
- Rizvi, S.M., Prajapati H.K., and Ghosh SK. The 2 micron plasmid: A selfish genetic element with an optimized survival strategy within Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Current Genetics. 2018 February, Volume 64, Issue 1, pp 25–42.
- Rizvi SM, Prajapati HK, Nag P, and Ghosh SK. The 2-μm plasmid encoded protein Raf1 regulates both stability and copy number of the plasmid by blocking the formation of the Rep1-Rep2 repressor complex. Nucleic Acids Research. 2017 Jul 7;45(12):7167-7179.
- Prajapati, H.K., S.M. Rizvi, I. Rathore& Ghosh SK. Microtubule-associated proteins, Bik1 and Bim1, are required for faithful partitioning of the endogenous 2 micron plasmids in budding yeast. Molecular Microbiology, 2017, 103: 1046-1064.
- Agarwal M, Mehta GD and Ghosh SK. Role of Ctf3 and COMA subcomplexes in meiosis: implication in maintaining Cse4 at the centromere and numeric spindle poles. BiochimBiophysActa. Mol. Cell Res. 2015 Mar;1854(3):671-84.
- Mehta GD, Agarwal M, Ghosh SK. Functional characterization of kinetochore protein, Ctf19 in meiosis I: an implication of differential impact of Ctf19 on the assembly of mitotic and meiotic kinetochores in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular Microbiology. 2014; 91(6):1179-99.
- Mehta GD, Kumar R, Srivastava S, Ghosh SK. Cohesin: Functions beyond sister chromatid cohesion. FEBS Lett. (2013), 587(15):2299-312.
- Lahiri S, Mehta GD and Ghosh SK. Iml3p, a component of the Ctf19 complex of the budding yeast kinetochore is required to maintain kinetochore integrity under conditions of spindle stress. FEMS Yeast Res. 2013; 13: 375-385.
- Mehta GD, Rizvi SMA, Ghosh SK. Cohesin: A guardian of genome integrity. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2012. 1823(8): 1324-1342.
- Mehta GD, Agarwal MP and Ghosh SK. Centromere identity: a challenge to be faced. Mol Genet Genomics 2010. 284(2): 75-94.
- Elucidating the mechanisms responsible for faithful chromosome segregation in mitosis and meiosis.
- Elucidating the epigenetic determinants of Candida biology.
- Understanding the mechanism of remarkable stability of endogenous 2 micron plasmid in budding yeast.