Dr. Rajesh Patkar
Phone: +(91-22) 2576 7770
E-mail: rajeshpatkar [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 403, BSBE Building
Lab web page
We are passionate about understanding host-pathogen interactions with a major focus on fungal molecular patho-biology, chemical effectors, host adaptability and plant biotechnology. We use both plant and animal models of fungal diseases –
– Blast disease caused by the Cereal-Killer Magnaporthe oryzae
– Mixed-species Invasive Candidiasis
- PhD (Microbiology): The M. S. University of Baroda, India; 2006
- MSc (Microbiology): University of Mumbai, India; 1998
- BSc (Microbiology): University of Mumbai, India; 1996
- Assistant Professor & DBT-Wellcome Trust Intermediate Fellow: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India; 2021-
- Assistant Professor & DBT-Wellcome Trust Intermediate Fellow: Ahmedabad University, India; 2020
- Ramalingaswami Fellow: The M. S. University of Baroda, India; 2016-2020
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory, Singapore; 2006-2016
- Young Faculty Award, IIT Bombay
- DBT-Wellcome Trust India Alliance Intermediate Fellowship
- DBT-Ramalingaswami Fellowship
- CSIR-Senior Research Fellowship
Selected Recent Publications
Thaker, A., Mehta, K. & Patkar, R.* 2021. Feruloyl esterase Fae1 is required specifically for host colonisation by the rice-blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. Current Genetics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00294-021-01213-z
Liu, Y.; Pagac, M.; Yang, F.; Patkar, R.N.*; Naqvi, N.I.* 2021. Fungal Jasmonate as a Novel Morphogenetic Signal for Pathogenesis. Journal of Fungi, 7, 693. https://doi.org/10.3390/jof7090693 (as Co-Corresponding author)
Reza, M.H.*, Patkar, R.* & Sanyal, K.*. 2021. Vacuolar transporter Mnr2 safeguards organellar integrity in aged cells. Molecular Microbiology, 00, 1- 16. https://doi.org/10.1111/mmi.14776 (as Co-Corresponding author)
- Shah H., Rawat K., Ashar H., Patkar R.N.*, Manjrekar J.*. 2019. Dual role for fungal-specific outer kinetochore proteins during cell cycle and development in Magnaporthe oryzae. Journal of Cell Science. 132: jcs224147 doi: 10.1242/jcs.224147 (* Co-Corresponding author)
- Mohanan V.C., Chandarana P., Chattoo B.B., Patkar R.N.*, and Manjrekar J.* 2017. Fungal histidine phosphotransferase plays a crucial role in photomorphogenesis and pathogenesis in Magnaporthe oryzae. Frontiers in Chemistry – Agricultural Biological Chemistry 5:31 doi: 10.3389/fchem.2017.00031. (* Co-Corresponding author).
- Patkar R.N.* and Naqvi N.I.* 2017. Fungal Manipulation of Hormone-Regulated Plant Defense. PLoS Pathogens. 13(6): e1006334. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1006334. (* Co-Corresponding author).
- Patkar R.N.*, Benke P., Qu Z., Constance C.Y., Fan Y., Swarup S. and Naqvi N.I.* 2015. A Fungal Monooxygenase-Derived Jasmonate Attenuates Host Innate Immunity. Nature Chemical Biology 11: 733-40. (* Co-Corresponding author).
- Patkar R.N.*, Xue Y.K., Shui G., Wenk M. and Naqvi N.I.* 2012. Abc3-mediated Efflux of an Endogenous Digoxin-like Steroidal Glycoside by Magnaporthe oryzae is Necessary for Host Invasion during Blast Disease. PLoS Pathogens 8(8): e1002888. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1002888. (* Co-Corresponding author).
- Patkar R.N.*, Ramos-Pamplona M., Gupta P.A., Fan Y. and Naqvi N.I.* 2012. Mitochondrial β-oxidation Regulates Organellar Integrity and is Necessary for Conidial Germination and Invasive Growth in Magnaporthe oryzae. Molecular Microbiology 86: 1345–1363. doi: 10.1111/mmi.12060. (* Co-Corresponding author).
- Patkar R.N.*, Suresh A., and Naqvi N.I.* 2010. MoTea4-mediated polarized growth is essential for proper asexual development and pathogenesis in Magnaporthe oryzae. Eukaryotic Cell 9(7): 1029-1038. (* Co-Corresponding author).