Dr. Rohit Manchanda
Phone: +(91-22) 2576 7765
E-mail: rmanch [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 506, BSBE Building
Lab web page
- Computational studies on synaptic transmission, electrical signalling and information processing in excitable cells and tissues. Cell types explored include smooth muscle cells and neurons of the CNS, particularly ventral striatal medium spiny neurons. Investigations have been carried out using both analytical and compartmental modelling approaches, and include studies on synaptic potentials, action potentials and underlying membrane currents. The NEURON platform has been widely employed for the single neuron computation studies. Through our work, we attempt both to explain enigmatic electrical phenomena as well as predict the behaviour of nerve and muscle cells in response to defined sets of inputs
- BSc (HONS): 1984, UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD, U.K.
- PhD.: 1985-89, UNIV. OF OXFORD, U.K
- C.S.I.R POOL OFFICER 1990 ALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, NEW-DELHI.
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR 1991-97 BIOMEDICAL ENGG., IIT BOMBAY
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR 1997- BIOMEDICAL ENGG., IIT BOMBAY
Awards / Honors
- Career Award for Young Teachers (AICTE), 1997-2000.
- BOYSCAST Fellowship, DST, 1998-1999, held at the University of Oxford, UK.
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, IIT-Bombay, 2006
- Annual Felicitation Award, Society for Cancer Research & Communication,2007
- Gupta A, Manchanda R. (2022) Computational modeling of stretch induced calcium signaling at the apical membrane domain in umbrella cells. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, DOI:10.1080/10255842.2022.2117549.
- Manchanda R. (2021) Rinti Banerjee (1972–2021). Current Science, 121: 972-973
- Gupta Suranjana, Manchanda R. (2019) A computational model of large conductance voltage and calcium activated potassium channels: implications for calcium dynamics and electrophysiology in detrusor smooth muscle cells. Journal of Computational Neuroscience, 46: 233-256. DOI:10.1007/s10827-019-00713-9
- Manchanda R, Appukuttan S, Padmakumar M. (2019) Electrophysiology of syncytial smooth muscle. Journal of Experimental Neuroscience, vol 13. DOI:10.1177/117906951882191
- Sengupta N, Manchanda R. (2019) Spontaneous synaptic drive in detrusor smooth muscle: computational investigation and implications for urinary bladder function. Journal of Computational Neuroscience, 47: 167-189. DOI:10.1007/s10827-019-00731-7
- Appukuttan S, Padmakumar M, Young JS, Brain KL, Manchanda R (2018) Investigation of the syncytial nature of detrusor smooth muscle as a determinant of action potential shape. Frontiers in Physiology, Volume 9, Year 2018. DOI:10.3389/fphys.2018.01300
- Mandge D, Manchanda R. (2018) A biophysically detailed computational model of urinary bladder small DRG neuron soma. PLoS Computational Biology, 14. DOI:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1006293
- Rane M, Manchanda R. (2018) Effects of location and extent of spine clustering on synaptic integration in striatal medium spiny neurons—a computational study. Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 56: 1173-1187. DOI:10.1007/s11517-017-1760-5
- Monastery, Sanctuary, Laboratory: 50 Years of IIT-Bombay. Macmillan, New Delhi, 2008, 424 pp.
- Computational Studies on Mechanisms Of Information Processing In Medium Spiny Neurons
- Computational Studies on Bladder Biophysics, with Special Reference to Possible Mechanisms in Overactivity