Dr. Roop Mallik
Phone Office: +(91-22) 2576 7769
Phone Lab: +(91-22) 2576 4789
E-mail: rmallik [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 406, BSBE Building
Lab web page
Intracellular Transport, Biophysics of Lipids and Motor Proteins, Pathogen degradation, Metabolism and Liver biology, Lipid Homeostasis
1994 – 1999 Ph.D. (Physics). Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India.
1993 Masters (Physics).University of Allahabad, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- 2020 – Dept. Of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay
2006 – July 2020 Dept. of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Colaba, Mumbai.
2017-2020, Professor & DBT-Wellcome IA Senior Fellow
2011-2017, Assoc. Professor & Wellcome-DBT IA Senior Fellow
2006-2011, Reader & Wellcome Trust (UK) Senior Fellow
2001 – 2005 Postdoctoral Fellow. University of California Irvine, Department of Developmental and Cell Biology.
2000 – 2001 Postdoctoral Fellow. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai and National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore.
Awards / Honors
- DBT – Wellcome Trust India Alliance Senior Research Fellowship (January 2020 onwards).
- The G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research, 2019
- Infosys Prize in Life Sciences 2018
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Biological Sciences 2014
- Fellowship of the Indian Academy of Sciences Bengaluru
- Wellcome Trust – DBT India alliance Senior Research Fellowship (2013 -2018)
- Wellcome Trust (UK) International Senior Research Fellowship (2006-2012)
- Human Frontier Sciences Program HFSP Long-term Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Sukrut Kamerkar, Jagjeet Singh, Subham Tripathy, Hemangi Bhonsle, Mukesh Kumar, Roop Mallik. Metabolic and Immune Sensitive Contacts between Lipid droplets and Endoplasmic Reticulum Reconstituted In vitro. PNAS Vol. 119, No. 24 (2022)
- Neelay Mehendale, Roop Mallik and Siddhesh S. Kamat. Mapping Sphingolipid Metabolism Pathways during Phagosomal Maturation. ACS Chem. Biol. 16, 2757 (2021)
- Paulomi Sanghavi, Pankaj Kumar, Ankit Roy, M.S.Madhusudhan and Roop Mallik. ON and OFF Controls within Dynein-Dynactin on Native Cargoes. PNAS Vol 118 No. 23 (2021)
- Aditya Chhatre, Paulomi Sanghavi and Roop Mallik. Lis1 co-localizes with actin in the Phagocytic cup and regulates Phagocytosis. Cytoskeleton (Wiley) 2020,77:249–260.
- Roop Mallik. From Physics to Physiology at the Membrane-Motor Interface; Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 21, 61–62 (2020)
- Mukesh Kumar, Srikant Ojha, Priyanka Rai, Alaumy Joshi, Siddhesh S. Kamat and Roop Mallik. Insulin activates Intracellular transport of Lipid Droplets to release Triglycerides from the Liver; The Journal of Cell Biology, 218 (11) 3697-3713 (2019)
- Paulomi Sanghavi, Ashwin D’Souza, Ashim Rai, Arpan Rai, Ranjith Padinhatheeri and Roop Mallik. Coin-tossing explains the Activity of Opposing Microtubule Motors on Phagosomes; Current Biology 28, 1460–1466 (2018)
- Priyanka Rai, Mukesh Kumar, Geetika Sharma, Pradeep Barak, Saumitra Das, Siddhesh S. Kamat and Roop Mallik. Kinesin dependent Mechanism for Controlling Triglyceride Secretion from the Liver; PNAS 114, 12958–12963 (2017)
- Ashim Rai, Divya Pathak, Shreyasi Thakur, Shampa Singh, Alok Kumar Dubey and Roop Mallik. Dynein clusters into Lipid Microdomains on Phagosomes to drive Rapid Transport towards Lysosomes; Cell 164, 722–734 (2016)
- Arpan K. Rai, Ashim Rai, Avin J. Ramaiya, Rupam Jha and Roop Mallik. Molecular adaptations allow Dynein to generate large collective forces inside cells; Cell 152, 172–182 (2013)
- Pradeep Barak, Ashim Rai, Priyanka Rai and Roop Mallik. Quantitative optical trapping on single organelles in cell extract; Nature Methods 10, 68–70 (2013)
- V Soppina, A K Rai, A J Ramaiya, P Barak and Roop Mallik. Tug-of-war between Dissimilar Teams of Microtubule Motors Regulates Transport and Fission of Endosomes; PNAS 106, 19381 (2009)
Selected Book Chapters
- Cytoskeletal Motors:Structure and Function in Hepatocytes. Mukesh Kumar, Arnab Gupta and Roop Mallik
The Liver : Biology and Pathobiology, 6th Edition
- Dynein in Endosome and Phagosome Maturation. Ashim Rai, Divya Pathak & Roop Mallik
The Handbook of Dynein, 2nd Edition