Dr. Roop Mallik
Phone Office: +(91-22) 2576 7769
Phone Lab: +(91-22) 2576 4789
E-mail: rmallik [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 406, BSBE Building
Lab web page
Intracellular Transport, Biophysics of Lipids and Motor Proteins, Pathogen degradation, Metabolism and Liver biology, Lipid Homeostasis
1994 – 1999 Ph.D. (Physics). Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India.
1993 Masters (Physics).University of Allahabad, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- 2020 – Dept. Of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay
2006 – July 2020 Dept. of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Colaba, Mumbai.
2017-2020, Professor & DBT-Wellcome IA Senior Fellow
2011-2017, Assoc. Professor & Wellcome-DBT IA Senior Fellow
2006-2011, Reader & Wellcome Trust (UK) Senior Fellow
2001 – 2005 Postdoctoral Fellow. University of California Irvine, Department of Developmental and Cell Biology.
2000 – 2001 Postdoctoral Fellow. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai and National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore.
Awards / Honors
- DBT – Wellcome Trust India Alliance Senior Research Fellowship (January 2020 onwards).
- The G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research, 2019
- Infosys Prize in Life Sciences 2018
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Biological Sciences 2014
- Fellowship of the Indian Academy of Sciences Bengaluru
- Wellcome Trust – DBT India alliance Senior Research Fellowship (2013 -2018)
- Wellcome Trust (UK) International Senior Research Fellowship (2006-2012)
- Human Frontier Sciences Program HFSP Long-term Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Roop Mallik. From Physics to Physiology at the Membrane-Motor Interface; Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 21, 61–62 (2020)
- Mukesh Kumar, Srikant Ojha, Priyanka Rai, Alaumy Joshi, Siddhesh S. Kamat and Roop Mallik. Insulin activates Intracellular transport of Lipid Droplets to release Triglycerides from the Liver; The Journal of Cell Biology, 218 (11) 3697-3713 (2019)
- Paulomi Sanghavi, Ashwin D’Souza, Ashim Rai, Arpan Rai, Ranjith Padinhatheeri and Roop Mallik. Coin-tossing explains the Activity of Opposing Microtubule Motors on Phagosomes; Current Biology 28, 1460–1466 (2018)
- Priyanka Rai, Mukesh Kumar, Geetika Sharma, Pradeep Barak, Saumitra Das, Siddhesh S. Kamat and Roop Mallik. Kinesin dependent Mechanism for Controlling Triglyceride Secretion from the Liver; PNAS 114, 12958–12963 (2017)
- Ashim Rai, Divya Pathak, Shreyasi Thakur, Shampa Singh, Alok Kumar Dubey and Roop Mallik. Dynein clusters into Lipid Microdomains on Phagosomes to drive Rapid Transport towards Lysosomes; Cell 164, 722–734 (2016)
- Arpan K. Rai, Ashim Rai, Avin J. Ramaiya, Rupam Jha and Roop Mallik. Molecular adaptations allow Dynein to generate large collective forces inside cells; Cell 152, 172–182 (2013)
- Pradeep Barak, Ashim Rai, Priyanka Rai and Roop Mallik. Quantitative optical trapping on single organelles in cell extract; Nature Methods 10, 68–70 (2013)
- V Soppina, A K Rai, A J Ramaiya, P Barak and Roop Mallik. Tug-of-war between Dissimilar Teams of Microtubule Motors Regulates Transport and Fission of Endosomes; PNAS 106, 19381 (2009)
Selected Book Chapters
- Cytoskeletal Motors:Structure and Function in Hepatocytes. Mukesh Kumar, Arnab Gupta and Roop Mallik
The Liver : Biology and Pathobiology, 6th Edition
- Dynein in Endosome and Phagosome Maturation. Ashim Rai, Divya Pathak & Roop Mallik
The Handbook of Dynein, 2nd Edition