Dr. Kiran Kondabagil
Phone: +(91-22) 2576 7758
E-mail: kirankondabagil [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 601, BSBE Building
Lab web page
- Origin and evolution of viruses
- Molecular mechanisms of DNA replication, repair and packaging in giant viruses and bacteriophages
- Environmental virology and virus ecology
- Ph.D in Biochemistry from CSIR-CFTRI/University of Mysore
- Genetic Engineering, Evolutionary Biology, Genomics and Proteomics, Virology
- Pre-doctoral Research Associate: Immuno-modulation research center, University of Ulsan, Ulsan, South Korea
- Post-doctoral Fellow: The Catholic University of America, Washington DC
- Assistant Professor (Research Track): The Catholic University of America, Washington DC
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay
- Associate Professor, Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay
Selected Recent Publications
- Kumar MS, Nandeshwar R, Lad SB, Megha K, Mangat M, Butterworth A, Knapp CW, Knapp M, Hoskisson PA, Corrigan DK, Ward AC, Kondabagil K#, Tallur S#. Electrochemical sensing of SARS-CoV-2 amplicons with PCB electrodes, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 343:130169, 2021.
- Chaudhari H, Inamdar M#, Kondabagil K# Scaling relation between genome length and particle size of dsDNA viruses provides insights into viral life history. iScience 24:102452, 2021.
- Patil S, Kondabagil K. Co-evolutionary and phylogenetic analysis of Mimiviral replication machinery suggest the cellular origin of Mimiviruses. 2021; Molecular Biology and Evolution. 38(5): 2014-2029, 2021.
- Sharma S, Kumari V, Kumbhar BV, Mukherjee A, Pandey A and Kondabagil K. Immunoinformatics approach for a novel multi-epitope subunit vaccine design against various subtypes of Influenza virus. Immunobiology. 226(2):152053, 2021.
- Kondabagil K, Sicheritz-Pontén T, Clokie MRJ. inPhocus: A local perspective on phage-based biocontrol in agriculture and aquaculture in India. PHAGE. 1(4), 169-173, 2020.
- Sharma S, Chatterjee A, Kumar P, Lal S, Kondabagil K. Upregulation of miR-101 during Influenza A Virus Infection Abrogates Viral Life Cycle by Targeting mTOR Pathway. Viruses. 12(4):444, 2020.
- Sadani K, Muthuraj L, Nag P, Fernandes M, Kondabagil K, Mukhopadhyay C, Mukherji S. A point of use sensor assay for detecting purely viral versus viral-bacterial samples. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 322:128562, 2020.
- Gupta A, Lad SB, Ghodke PP, Pradeepkumar PI, Kondabagil K. Mimivirus encodes a multifunctional primase with DNA/RNA polymerase, terminal transferase and translesion synthesis activities. Nucleic Acids Res. 47(13):6932-6945, 2019; COVER PAGE ARTICLE.
Selected Recent Patents
- Sadani, K., Kondabagil, K., Mukherji, S. “Method of detection and differentiation of bacteria and viruses in samples”, Indian Patent Application No. 202021002188, 2020.
- Ruchira Nandeshwar, Siddharth Tallur, Kiran Kondabagil Electrochemical detection of proteins and other biological analytes with printed circuit board electrodes. Ruchira Nandeshwar, Siddharth Tallur, Kiran Kondabagil Indian Patent Application No. 20211022040, 2021.