Dr. Kiran Kondabagil
Phone: +(91-22) 2576 7858
E-mail: kirankondabagil [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 601, BSBE Building
Lab web page
- We are interested in understanding the molecular mechanisms of DNA replication, repair and packaging in double-stranded DNA viruses. We employ bioinformatics, molecular genetics, recombinant DNA, biochemical and structural biology approaches
- Ph.D in Biochemistry from University of Mysore (work done at CFTRI Mysore)
Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biology , Introduction to Evolution , Virology
- Pre-doctoral Research Associate: Immuno-modulation research center, University of Ulsan, Ulsan, South Korea
- Post-doctoral Fellow: The Catholic University of America, Washington DC
- Assistant Professor (Research Track): The Catholic University of America, Washington DC
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay
- Zade A, Sengupta M, Kondabagil K. Extensive in silico analysis of Mimivirus coded Rab GTPase homolog suggests a possible role in virion membrane biogenesis. Front. Microbiol. Volume 6 | Article 929| September 2015.
- Kondabagil K. Bacteriophage mediated biocontrol in wastewater management. In Industrial and Environmental Microbiology, Studium Press, Chapter 30: 473-495, 2014.
- Abdulrahman Al-Zahrani*, Kiran Kondabagil*, Song Gao, Noreen Kelly, Manjira Ghosh-Kumar, and Venigalla B. Rao1 The Small Terminase, gp16, of Bacteriophage T4 is a Global Regulator of the DNA Packaging Motor. J. Biol. Chem. 284:24490-500, 2009. *-Contributed equally and share first authorship.
- Siyang Sun*, Kiran Kondabagil*, Bonnie Draper, Tanfis I Alam, Valorie D Bowman, Zhihong Zhang Z, Shylaja Hegde, Andrie Fokine, Michael G Rossmann and Venigalla B Rao. The structure of the phage T4 DNA packaging motor suggests a mechanism dependent on electrostatic forces. Cell 135:1251-1262, 2008. *-Contributed equally and share first authorship. Leading Edge Article; previewed by Williams RS, Williams GJ, Tainer JA. A charged performance by gp17 in viral packaging. Cell 135:1169-1171, 2008.
- Tanfis Alam, Bonnie Draper, Kiran Kondabagil, Frank J Rentas, Manjira Ghosh-Kumar, Siyang Sun, Michael G Rossmann and Venigalla B Rao. The headful packaging nuclease of bacteriophage T4. Mol. Microbiol. 69:1180-1190, 2008.
- Siyang Sun, Kiran Kondabagil, Petra Gentz Michael G Rossmann and Venigalla B Rao. The structure of the ATPase that powers DNA packaging into bacteriophage T4 procapsids. Mol. Cell. 25:943-949, 2007.
- Kiran R Kondabagil, Zhang Zhihong, and Venigalla B Rao. The DNA Translocating ATPase of Bacteriophage T4 Packaging Motor. J.Mol.Biol. 363:786-799,2006.
- Kiran R Kondabagil and Venigalla B Rao. A Critical Coiled Coil Motif in the Small Terminase, gp16, from Bacteriophage T4: Insights into DNA Packaging Initiation and Assembly of Packaging Motor. J.Mol.Biol. 358:67-82,2006.
- Shuji Kanamaru*, Kiran R Kondabagil*, Michael G Rossmann and Venigalla B. Rao. The functional domains of bacteriophage T4 terminase. J. Biol. Chem. 279:40795-40801, 2004.
*-Contributed equally and share first authorship.
Selected Book Chapters
- Banerjee R Nanotechnology Perspectives in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Cancers Edited Book, Society of Cancer Research and Communications, Narosa International, 2012.
- Gogoi, M.; Jaiswal, M. K., Banerjee, R., Bahadur D. Magnetic liposomes and hydrogels towards cancer therapy. In: Introduction toMagnetic Nanoparticles from Fabrication to Clinical Applications. Thanh NTK (Ed.), CRC press London (2012) 479-498.
- Banerjee R “Nanobiomaterials for Ocular applications” In Nanobiomaterials Handbook editor Sitharaman B, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL(2011) 15-1-15-16.
- Banerjee R, Kaur S Nanovesicle- biopolymeric nanoparticle hybrids for combination drug delivery in cancers 957/MUM/2013
- Banerjee R, S Guhasarkar Hydrogel linked nanocarrier systems for intravesical drug delivery 985/MUM/2013
- Banerjee R Nanoparticle based cosmetic composition 2695/MUM/2011
- Banerjee R, Thanigaivel S, Chakravarty S. Nanocochleate nanosphere complexes 2190/MUM/2011
- Banerjee R. Oxidatively stable bioassimilable microencapsulated iron 1560/MUM/2011
- Banerjee R, Joshi N. Conjoined lipid based multicompartment nanovesicles for drug delivery 672/MUM/2011
- Banerjee R, Thanigaivel S, Joshi N, Mohurle S, Balakrishnan B. Lipopolymeric nanocapsules for delivering hydrophobic drugs 266/MUM/2011
- Banerjee R, S Guhasarkar. Self assembled nanostructured saliva substitutes. Prov. 105/MUM/2011