Overview of metabolism; concept of flow of matter and energy; thermodynamics of coupled systems and non-equilibrium reactions; biological energy currencies: high energy bond, reducing power and inter conversions of energy forms; carbon, nitrogen cycles in biosphere; classification of living system based on carbon and energy requirements; methods to study metabolism; carbohydrate and lipid catabolism; glycolysis; TCA cycle; fatty acid oxidation, other metabolic routes of carbon; oxidative phosphorylation; biosynthesis of carbohydrates and lipids photosynthesis; photosynthetic electron transport; Calvin cycle and other avenues of harvesting light energy; gluconeogenesis; Cori cycle; glycogen metabolism; biogenesis of fatty acids and sterols; nitrogen metabolism: sources of organic nitrogen; flow of nitrogen into biosynthesis and catabolism of amino acids; central role of glutamine; purines and pyrimidines; the metabolism of nucleotides; urea cycle and excretion of nitrogen; integration of metabolism and concepts of metabolic regulation.
- R.S. Ochs, R.W. Hanson and J. Halls; Metabolic Regulation. Elsevier, 1985.
- P.W. Atkins; Physical Chemistry. ELBS, 1981.
- J.G. Morris; A Biologist’s Physical Chemistry. 1974.
- Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry. D.L.Nelson and M.M.Cox. 4th ed. W.H.Freeman, 2004.
- Cellular physiology of nerves and muscles. G.G.Mathews. 4th ed. Blackwell Publishers, 2003.
- Bioenergetics. D.G.Nicholls and S.J.Ferguson, 2nd ed. Academic Press, 2002.