Dr. Rohit Manchanda
Phone: +(91-22) 2576 7765
Fax: +(91-22) 2572 7760
E-mail: rmanch [at] iitb.ac.in
Location: Room No. 506, BSBE Building
Lab web page
Computational studies on synaptic transmission, electrical signalling and information processing in excitable cells and tissues. Cell types explored include smooth muscle cells and neurons of the CNS, particularly ventral striatal medium spiny neurons. Investigations have been carried out using both analytical and compartmental modelling approaches, and include studies on synaptic potentials, action potentials and underlying membrane currents. The NEURON platform has been widely employed for the single neuron computation studies. Through our work, we attempt both to explain enigmatic electrical phenomena as well as predict the behaviour of nerve and muscle cells in response to defined sets of inputs
- BSc(HONS): 1984, UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD,U.K.
- PhD. : 1985-89, UNIV. OF OXFORD,U.K
- C.S.I.R POOL OFFICER 1990 ALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, NEW-DELHI.
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR 1991-97 BIOMEDICAL ENGG., IIT BOMBAY
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR 1997- BIOMEDICAL ENGG., IIT BOMBAY
- Career Award for Young Teachers (AICTE), 1997-2000.
- BOYSCAST Fellowship, DST, 1998-1999, held at the University of Oxford, UK.
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, IIT-Bombay, 2006
- Annual Felicitation Award, Society for Cancer Research & Communication,2007
- Steephen JE, Manchanda R (2009) Differences in biophysical properties of nucleus accumbens medium spiny neurons emerging from inactivation of inward rectifying potassium currents. J Comput Neurosci Online access: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10827-009-0161-7
- Rahman F; Manchanda R; Brain KL (2009) Prejunctional and postjunctional actions of heptanol and 18 beta-glycyrretinic acid in the rodent vas deferens. Autonomic Neuroscience : Basic & Clinical 2009;148(1-2):69-75.
- D Palani, P Ghildyal, Rohit Manchanda (2007). Effects of heptanol and carbenoxolone on noradrenaline induced contractions in guinea pig vas deferens. Auton Neurosci. Vol. 137, p 56-62.
- D. Palani, P. Ghildyal and Rohit Manchanda (2006) Effects of carbenoxolone on syncytial electrical properties and junction potentials of guinea-pig vas deferens. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Archives of Pharmacology, 374: 207-214.
- Ghildyal P, D. Palani, Manchanda R (2006) Post- and pre-junctional effects of ecto-ATPase inhibition: electrical and contractile studies in the guinea-pig vas deferens. Journal of Physiology. 575(Pt 2): 469–480
- D. Palani & R Manchanda (2006) Effects of Heptanol on Neurogenic Contractions of Vas Deferens: A Comparative Study of Stimulation Frequency in Guinea-pig and Rat. Journal of Physiological Sciences, Vol. 56, No 1, pp. 21-28
- D. Palani & R Manchanda (2005) Effects of Heptanol on Noradrenaline-Induced Contractions In Rat Vas Deferens. Journal of Smooth Muscle Research, Vol. 42, No. 1, 49-61
- Monastery, Sanctuary, Laboratory: 50 Years of IIT-Bombay. Macmillan, New Delhi, 2008, 424 pp.
- Computational Studies on Mechanisms Of Information Processing In Medium Spiny Neurons
- Computational Studies on Bladder Biophysics, with Special Reference to Possible Mechanisms in Overactivity